Vegetable Beef Soup
- In a large stock pot brown beef and onion. Drain grease and add tomatoes, water, salt, beef bouillon, carrots, celery, potatoes, thyme, bay leaf and basil. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, approximately 45 minutes.
French Beef Stew
- Combine meat and flour in a large plastic food storage bag and toss to coat evenly.
- In a 6 quart saucepan brown meat in hot vegetable oil. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Add diced tomatoes, beef broth, carrots, potatoes and thyme. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover; and simmer for 1 hour or until beef is tender.
- Blend in mustard and serve.
- Combine ground beef, onion, and garlic in large stockpot. Cook and stir over medium heat until beef is brown. Drain.
- Stir in chili powder, salt, oregano, tomatoes, and tomato sauce; break up tomatoes while stirring. Heat to boiling, reduce heat to simmer, and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Stir in beans. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes; stir occasionally.
All of these are fabulous on cold fall or winter days, and leftovers freeze very well. I usually double the recipes & stock up my freezer in advance.